Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bittersweet (mostly sweet) Weekend

Well, I made it through my first memorial service for a friend on Friday. Not a milestone I'd recommend, for anyone who hasn't been there yet. Although it was a relatively impersonal religious service, it was the first time I'd really let myself think of the fact that I'll never see Audrey again, so it was pretty hard to keep myself together. I couldn't look at her photo at the front of the church, or at her dad in the front pew...didn't want to turn into a complete sobbing mess in front of all of my co-workers, and I did fairly well until I made it back out to the parking lot of the church. So glad Allan came with me for moral support.

Anyway, as I mentioned, our Christmas party was that evening. In spite of the sadness in the afternoon, we had a lovely time as evidenced by the crazy Facebook photos. They're fun people--and I'm a lucky gal.

Saturday was pretty lazy, I managed to get off scot-free in the hangover department this time, and spent some time at the market, followed by a run out to the mall--as of Friday, our fair city finally has a proper pet store. Better yet, a friend of mine is the manager of the reptile/aquarium section of Pets Unlimited! Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, it was cuh-razy busy on Saturday, so I didn't get anything. However, I will return--my teensy aquarium has room for a couple of guppies. Oh, and my turtles are SO getting a tub of mealworms for Christmas.

Today, I went to my first ever Christmas "cookie" exchange...since I'm a terrible baker, I made my (fairly popular, if I do say so myself) homemade salsa to give out. The hostess, who I know from the Farmers' Market, is an amazing baker herself (if you want to drool at photos of her stuff, check out The Cocoa Pod Sweet Catering), so I knew it'd be good. The party was really lovely, lots of nice gals there--and lots of babies, all of whom were very cute and well-behaved...if my uterus had a heart, it'd probably be throbbing at them. And the food...I left the house with 14 tubs of salsa, and returned with probably a dozen different treats...cookies, squares, little bags of salty snack mix....Oh yes, it was awesome.

And now, the weekend draws to a close. *sniff* Ooh, speaking of weekends, I must remember to write about last weekend's shopping trip to Bangor. Much to tell...too much to get into now, but I'm sure there will be a laugh or two to be had at my expense....

3 comments:

Jeremy Feist said...

Yeah, I REALLY don't handle well at funerals. Like, at all. I'm usually the first one sobbing, and my Godtopus do I ever sob. And I will gladly switch you some Gingerbread people in exchange for some tasty salsa, if only to keep them from inciting another riot in my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Shit meaux, I haven't checked in here in a while. So sorry to hear about your friend, cancer sucks. Funerals for friends are tough, I know. Glad to hear hubby was able to give much-needed support. For what it's worth you're in my thoughts.

There's nothing better than Christmas salsa to go with those cookies! And I think I speak for turtles everywhere when I say "mealworms...yum!"

Best of the season to you, kiddo. Have an extra drink or two for me.

meaux said...

Thanks, Cap'n--your thoughts are much appreciated. *sigh* Cancer sucks indeed.

And fellas, if I could send salsa through the interwebs, I would--'twas a pretty good batch, I must say! (Oh, and I'd happily exchange for mutinous gingerbread men. I hear they're the tastiest of all.)