Huh, wow. Two of my husband's long-time best friends have just announced they're expecting their first babies. How exciting for them! And yet...I...uh...I really hope this doesn't cause Allan to start thinking about babies.
Ah, I don't think it will; he's pretty adamant.
As for me, parenthood is a big, scary prospect and I don't think I'll ever be ready for it. My life is full and busy enough as it is, and I treasure my stolen moments of lazy time. I am seriously in awe of people who have kids and work outside the home (or not, even). How in the hell are there enough hours in the day for you people?!
*sigh* I know, being a parent is apparently tremendously rewarding, and I certainly see glimpses of why people do it, like when my co-workers bring their beautiful, funny, full-of-personality little kiddies into the office. But it's still not something I want--and having hit the big 3-1, with still no signs of biological clock tick-age, I don't think I ever will.
I know lots of people who've been married and happily childless for decades, and I'm pretty damned sure we'll be one of those couples. Don't get me wrong--if something unexpected happens, we'll deal with it--but there are no planned stork deliveries coming our way. Instead, we'll happily settle into the role of "the cool aunt and uncle," and enjoy the odd visit with our favourite kiddies (and after a while, when they're all wound up and cranky, we can just hand them back to mommy and daddy...) *evil laugh*
Controversial, anyone?
11 years ago

7 comments:
Ha! Your last few sentences are exactly me & my pseudo-Mr. We prefer the "cool Auntie & Uncle" role as well. Well, except for how my brother thought it would be funny to get his kids to start calling me "Aunt Piggy". I am perfectly happy to have no kids of my own.
Aunt Piggy? Oh dear...Give your brother a swat for me!
Hey, I've always wondered how the nickname Peggy comes from Margaret. Maybe you can tell me? Was there a famous pirate Margaret of yore who had a wooden leg?
You know, I never knew myself, but I think I'm going with your story from now on... I like it! the Dread Pirate Margaret. But she had peg legs and arms, like that dude in Family Guy.
It's kind of a cute story, actually... my niece was learning animal noises, including piggy, and one day he told her he was going to call Aunt Peggy, and she made the piggy noise. He, naturally, thought this was hilarious, and so, I am now Aunt Piggy in Florida. Oh, brothers.
My other niece and nephew (my sister's) call me Auntie M. Hee! Wait'll they see Wizard of Oz for the first time...
You do know that, when they get a little older, you can make them do all your household chores for you. For like, $5 a week. And you don't even have to report that to the IRS.
Think of all the lazy time you could have then?
Ah, so THAT's why people have kids! Rewarding, scmewarding.
In that case, I can't wait for my niece to be tall enough to reach the sink. I hate washing dishes. I'll totally give her $5. And all the Smarties she can eat.
I'm with Aunt Piggy on this one, at least for now. I adore my nephews and whenever I see a baby I do my classic "aaaawww, wook at the wittle baaaabyyy" smile, but I'm still not sure if I want any of my own.
Post a Comment