Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lazy Sunday....

Not much to report, really. Just a lovely, quiet day. The sun's just starting to emerge, I have spent most of my day relaxing on the couch with Quidi Vidi sitting on or beside my lap, and it's just been so relaxing after a fairly hectic week.

Last Saturday began with a field trip led by a lovely, but almost zealously enthusiastic birder. It was fun, although I'm not a morning person and we started the day at 6:30 in order to get to the meeting place on time. After that? "Easter" dinner at the in-laws', complete with the niece and nephew (ages 8 and 7), as well as the brother-in-law's friends' two kids (4 and 2). Cute bunch, but I'm just not used to hanging around so many small people--even when they're perfectly well behaved, which they were 97% of the time (seriously great job, parents!), it ain't quiet.

Next day, we embarked on the 5-hour drive to Halifax, for my long-awaited visiting/shopping trip to Halifax. Sadly, because of the ill-timed Easter dinner, we didn't get to leave 'til Sunday. And because Allan apparently didn't understand my plans, he only booked Mon and Tues off, so we didn't get to stay as long as I'd hoped either. So, the 5-day trip I'd envisioned (and booked vacation time for) became a 3-day rush job, I didn't get to visit any of my university friends. Argh. However, I did get to spend some time with my favourite fellow biology geek (my cousin Beth), and got to see Allan's brother and his wife's new place, so that was nice.

Drove home Tuesday and arrived to find that my mother had landed at my place a day early. Thought we'd have Tuesday night to relax, show Allan some of my...um...more intimate clothing purchases, and finish tidying the house (seriously, I cannot stand the thought of my mom knowing how messy our house really is when she's not around), but *surprise*, there she was. Ah well, c'est la vie. So, mom was down from Tuesday 'til yesterday night, and I haven't had a chance to really relax all week. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice visit--we went out for pedicures, did some shopping--but it's impossible to relax when at any moment, you might be faced with the two hot-button issues: babies ("Are you ever going to have them?") or church ("Do you think you'll ever go back to the church?"). Not only that, Allan and my mother are such different people that whenever I'm in a room with them, I feel like I have to act as a sort of a social lubricant to keep things from getting awkward. I'm on edge the whole time.

*sigh* I guess I shouldn't let it stress me out so much--really, I'm not usually a "stressy" kind of person! Does every gal have such a weird relationship with their mom?

3 comments:

Sofi said...

Yeah, moms are never easy to deal with. I guess as we grow closer to how old they were when they had us they expect us to become them, and when we don't, they wonder if we question their life choices.

I dunno, that's what I think. I guess.

lordhelmet said...

My sympathies, meaux! I just might be out your way in August (and stay there for 3 years) so I'll buy you some Rickards' White and you can tell me all your troubles..

I hope Allan eventually got to properly appreciate your purchases, and that you were able to destress properly.

meaux said...

Sofi, I think you really have a point there. My mom was 30 when she had me, and now that I've passed that milestone without giving birth...well, I think that's a big part of why she's so antsy for grandbabies....

lordhelmet, we are looking forward to a completely lazy and stress-free weekend. And buddy, I sure hope you end up on the east coast. I'm super-excited about possibly meeting you and ladyhelmet in person! The beer is just the icing on the cake! *heehee*