Okay, let's see if I can get in to this whole blogging thing. I'm getting to know some of my online buddies so well that I'm starting to feel like I'm holding out on them. No promises that I'll be a terribly regular poster; it's one of those things I never thought I would bother with.
Then again, I also thought I'd never be the sort who would go to a gym, but I did that and found it surprisingly therapeutic, so who knows?
First off, a big ol' thank you to the folks who inspired me to start this crazy thing: my cousin Berna, who has been faithfully blogging about her family life for a while now, and my online buddies like Jeremy and Che Grovera, whose fantastically witty, wise, charming and poignant styles remind me that you don't have to be a professional writer to be damned fun to read.
Yeah, you guys rock!
Okay, just to set the stage and give you all a little context, let me introduce myself. I`m a born-and-raised country girl. Not in the sense that I grew up on a farm with my dear ol`grandpappy or anything like that; rather, I grew up in the `suburbs` of a village of 2500. Had no close neighbours, and my best friend lived 15 mins away by car. For the most part, I was a very quiet, shy and sheltered little girl...daughter of a hardcore Catholic who knows everyone in the comunity, so my chances for badassery were very limited.
Went away for university, where I was still pretty introverted, but enjoyed my freedom (thought I didn`t go too nuts with it). Started dating my now-husband within a week of starting university (he was a high school friend, so we had a little head start in that respect). Majored in biology, as I was always a nature geek and it came naturally. Went on to a masters, strictly because I didn`t know what to do after graduation except continue school. Loved my masters work, but came to the conclusion that I had too little curiosity and too much common sense to make it in academia.
So, upon graduating with an M. Sc. in the eminently unemployable field of seabird reproductive behaviour (i.e., I watched puffins do the nasty), I moved back to Cape Breton (this time to the more populous side of the island) and attempted to find work. Lucked out and found myself working for an environmental consulting firm, where I enjoy a lovely mix of indoor and outdoor work, occasionally sprinkled with a dose of travel for far-away jobs.
Okay, enough about me for now. I`ll be back when I come up with something interesting to say. At least, I hope it`s interesting...we`ll see, I guess.
Controversial, anyone?
11 years ago

9 comments:
Oh my God, Meaux-meaux!!! You're blogging! Oh, what a happy day this is! Everytime a Pajiban blogs, and angel gets its wings. And for the record, LOVE Feist. Please give the rest of her stuff a proper listen. And did you reall watch a puffin get some muffin'?
Oh, you'd better believe it, my friend-you can't beat that puffin lovin'. Their muffin-stuffin' can't be...beat.
Dammit, I TRIED to find something to rhyme. I really did.
Anyway, *eeeeee*! My first comment! For you, Jer-bear, I will absolutely give Feist a go.
I generally don't go for chick singers, but there are the odd exceptions (see Kate Pierson of the B-52s, and Margohh-god-my-panties-are-melting Timmons of Cowboy Junkies).
I see, and, since you've already admitted you're an eco-pervert. Any chance we'll get to see some bird erotica?
Ignore B-Slim, he's just jealous because he hasn't figured out how blogging works.
Welcome to the other side.
QUIET YOU!
You're lucky I don't disembowel you RIGHT HERE!
B-slim, if you get blood on my blog, I swear to Godtopus that I will tan your hide.
Aw hell, you'll probably love it....
TK--thanks, buddy! *grin*
I love that you're blogging, meaux! I also submit an inordinate pile of thanks for those kind words in your inaugural post. You are a class act...in spite of the fact that Slim appears to have already marked your territory!
Hey, Che! You're more than welcome--honestly, I don't think I'd ever have gotten around to actually starting this if you didn't plant the idea in my mind.
But buddy, I'm still waiting for your inaugural post over on The Puppet Revolution (yes, I've been checking)--get on that, would you?
I'm ashamed to admit that I can't recall what I might have said that planted the idea of starting a blog in your mind. Like, did I actually say, "meaux, you should start a blog"? Because if I did, I'm a veritable genius; nice work so far!
Here's the deal with The Puppet Revolution: it's a placeholder at the moment so that I can post as Che Grovera on Sarina's Zombie Forecast website. She roped me into being a contributor but she prefers the Che Grovera identity, and that's tied to my Google account where I already had a lame, neglected blog under my "real world" identity so I had to delete the old blog and put something up in its place).
There's an extra layer of irony in the fact that I just started a new job two weeks ago so I haven't had time to devote to any of it...but I am mildly amused by the notion that anyone is paying attention.
One last thought/question: What would you want (or hope) to see on a site called "The Puppet Revolution"? I still don't have a clear sense of direction -- fuzzy blue Muppet revolutionary, yada, yada...but why? Perhaps even more important, how? I need a backstory...
Post a Comment