Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Field daze....

Okay, life is slowly starting to revert to normal. *dramatic exhale* Man, much as I’ve enjoyed all the jet-setting, I really am a homebody. A nice, quiet weekend at home with my lovely husband sounds just dreamy right now. (Huh? It’s only Tuesday? Aww, rats.)

As for field work, things are starting to slow down there. Only a couple more days of electrofishing left to do here in Cape Breton, which my aching bones are thankful for. It’s been really cool--one of the first projects I can really call my own, as I’m both managing it and doing most of the field work. However, carrying around the 35 pound backpack electrofishing unit is murder on the back muscles, and coworkers I have out with me are: 1. the pregnant gal who can’t fish for obvious reasons, and 2.the guy who complains of a bad back--he can do it for an hour, and then I have to wear the unit the rest of the day. Frankly, I think he’s a little bit of a whiner. Okay, I’m hard on him; he’s a sweet guy, but I’m tired and cranky and in pain these days, so I reserve the right to bitch, dammit. Anyway, I do enjoy the fact that I can out-muscle the boy by a long shot.
Oh, I managed to shock myself pretty good yesterday thanks to a little teensy leak in my waders. That was fun. Well, maybe not fun, but kind of funny! It’s set to stun fish, so it really doesn’t pack enough punch to seriously hurt a gal. Just enough to make her whole lower leg feel all tingly (ooh, I shuddered just thinking about it right now!).

So, yes. Field season is coming to a close, and I will soon be in my happy little cubicle working on reports. And then, after a couple of months of that, I’ll be bored and wishing it was field season. I like my job.

4 comments:

Che Grovera said...

The things that Canadians get paid to do! I can picture you choosing to spring a leak every now and then so you can feel all tingly below the waist. Oh yeah. Followed, of course, by the triumphant return to the computer so you can complain about it! All of this is said with only the slightest hint of jealousy that you get to alternate office time with field work and enjoy yourself in the process...

Jeremy Feist said...

Oh my Godtopus, what a coincidence! I've also been offered a job where I would get paid to feel all tingly below the waist! And it involves computers too! How weird is that?

meaux said...

Hmmm, now that you mention it, funny there hasn't been more use of electrical currents in the sex toy industry. Although...it's the sort of thing where if it went wrong, it would go TERRIBLY wrong.

Yeah, maybe I'd best not risk it. Ow...

Jeremy, do tell! *heehee*

Anonymous said...

Hey meaux, congrats on making it into the exalted blogosphere! Have you seen Cory Doctorow's balloon yet?

Good thing I'm not doing your job, I'd probably drain the fish-zapper's battery chasing my co-workers around the parking lot, laughing maniacally. Or, you know, with quiet dignity and grace..