Argh, I've been up since 6:00 after a measly 5 hours' sleep. Don't know how I managed to get any sleep at all, actually, because I'm still feeling all twitchy and caffeinated after yesterday's binge. But after a long day of fairly strenuous work, I didn't want to take any chances--getting jacked up on Double Blast coffee from Irving, plus (my latest long-distance driving vice) a couple of coffee-flavoured energy drinks, seemed like a better option than getting drowsy while driving the moose-infested roads of New Brunswick. Goddamned moose.
Anyway, frustrating sleep deprivation aside, I'm pretty psyched. Had an awesome week of work, electrofishing with a couple of colleagues from one of our New Brunswick offices. I was a little nervous about this project, because although I really enjoy electrofishing, I'd never worked with these guys in the field. I had met one of them before, and he seemed nice in an office setting, but that's no guarantee. But damned if they weren't among the most easy-going, hard-working, actually-know-what-they're-doing couple of people I've ever worked with.
And they felt the same way about me and told me so, which was really lovely to hear (especially considering that I managed to get horribly lost on my way to meet them at the work site one day, delaying our start by almost an hour. I kind of figured they'd be a little annoyed with me after that, but they were super understanding.) Whew.
Got to see a very good friend and former receptionist from our office (who left to pursue a motherfreakin' PhD in mathematics--amazing gal!). We had a lovely evening--she fed me the first homecooked meal that I'd had all week (yay!), I got to see her adorable kiddies, and we had a really nice catching up session. Also had a visit with my little cousin Steve (OK, he's 28...I guess I should stop calling him my "little cousin") who is stationed at the nearby military base, and who is so much like my father it's kind of funny--right down to the crazy-ass sense of humour and somewhat excessive fondness for drinking.
And this weekend, I'm staying in Halifax where I'm visiting my cousin and favourite fellow biology geek Beth, *and* meeting up with a certain temporary Nova Scotian Pajiban! Possibly even more than one temporary Nova Scotian Pajiban, actually--lordhelmet and I are definitely hanging out (look out, used bookstores of downtown Halifax!), and if Celery's around town, we may manage to meet up with her too. *psst* Hey Eyvi, you're next, lady!
Then it's off to do more shorebird surveys with my least favourite bird person. Ah well, it's only two days.
And then, finally, back home to see my lovely husband. Actually, I may see him sooner, because he wants to come visit me here in Halifax tonight. Argh, it just seems ridiculous to me for him to drive all the way here (five hours from home) just to be together for one night, then turn around and drive back tomorrow. I'm going to be home in less than a week, it's not like we're going to be apart for an eternity! Besides, I'm going to want to do stuff here in Halifax that he won't want to do--Beth wants us to go plant shopping, and I want to visit some relatives that I know he doesn't particularly enjoy visiting...I explained all of this to him, but I'm still not sure whether or not he's coming. Dammit, I'm kind of liking my solo adventure. Oh well, it will be nice to see him. *sigh* Silly, silly boy.
Okay, it's too late to try to go back to sleep, so I'm off to freshen up for the exciting day ahead. Maybe a nice shower will clear my buzzing brain....
Controversial, anyone?
11 years ago

3 comments:
electrofishing sounds fun, but electro-moose-hunting...EVEN FUNNER!
also, yes, she is an african grey. and yes, she is fully aware of the f-word. i have it on cell phone video.
Why arer there so many Pajibans on the East coast? You should all be here in central Canada where Jenn and I can do filthy, terrible things to all of you. Plus, maybe we could see movies and go to bookstores. But no drinking. Saskatchewan Pajibans don't drink.
I also may be a lovely shade of green right now.
Post a Comment