Ugh! Politics. Everywhere, politics.
Municipal elections are on. Bunch of balding old small-town babies who were big shots in student council (if that), wanting to relive their glory days by running for local office. Every freakin' morning on the CBC radio local program, the host is talking to candidates from one district or another, and they all squabble like a bunch of effing children in the mistaken belief that the loudest prick wins. I hate hate hate it. Maybe if one of them could pretend to be capable of holding a civilized discussion, or could argue a valid point as opposed to making some juvenile remark about his opponents, I'd consider casting a vote.
And then, there's the federal election. Frustration. The left is so fractured, it looks like we'll be stuck with Captain Alberta Oil for another few years (or months, at the rate this country has been going with elections, for pete's sake). I don't know who to vote for: I like Dion and his plans for the environment, but don't know if he can win enough support. I quite like Layton, seems like a decent leader and I've heard he's a good debater, but again, not sure if he can pull it the votes. I don't like May, although I do like the Green party platform. Why in the hell they don't just form a leftie alliance is beyond me; it worked for the Conservatives and Reform Party back in the day (*heehee* Any of you Canucks remember the "Conservative Reform Alliance Party," a.k.a. "CRAP party" jokes?), and look at them now. Anyway, I ought to have watched some of the debates to get a more informed stance, but see my objections to municipal politicians. I just get too frustrated at the sniping and yelling and condescending talk to put up with it for any amount of time. Same reason why I despise reality TV. Are there no classy politicians out there? Hell, I'd settle for entertaining ones...whatever happened to politicians choking reporters and clubbing robbers with Inuit art? Ah, good ol' Cretien....
Even if I could escape the local and federal political coverage, there's no escaping U.S. elections in the media. Yeesh, at least there are some interesting characters in the running there, but I will still be very happy to see the end of it (much happier if Obama gets elected, mind you).
Argh! I know I should care, I really really should...but, well, see blog title. I don't. Nonetheless, I do realize that elected officials do have some say in my day-to-day life. I mean, a lot of my work depends on who's in government--the strength of environmental policy has a huge influence on the environmental consulting business, naturally. But...but...I just can't muster up the energy to listen to politicians talking. *sigh* I suppose I'll just have to buckle down and read some newspapers to try to get a feel for who is the lesser of the necessary evils in the federal election. But screw the municipal election--I refuse to be responsible for any of those babies getting elected. There. I said it. *insert maniacal laugh*
Controversial, anyone?
11 years ago

4 comments:
Oh my god, the canadian political system is more boring than watching gray paint dry while you listen to your grandmother talk about her trip to the grocery store. Sure, the american election has deteriorated to a matter of identity politics, but at least it's entertaining to watch. And while Elizabeth May isn't the best candidate, I'm still voting for the Green Party. A change of pace couldn't hurt, could it?
You all have elections up there? I thought you just anointed the winning skip from a round-robin curling match or some such; I figured it didn't have anything to do with hockey -- although maybe it should -- since even your politicians are better-looking than that. And I guess your system allows for the occasional bone to be thrown to the French-speaking loons, eh?
Jeremy, I'm with you on the change of pace. Still kind of on the fence...leaning a bit towards Layton, but we'll see. Glad it's over tomorrow, at least!
Che, we used to use hockey matches, as recently as the early 90s. Perhaps you've seen former Prime Minister Jean Chretien? Anyway, wish us luck getting Harper the hell out of office....
Bunch of balding old small-town babies who were big shots in student council (if that), wanting to relive their glory days by running for local office.
Never in my life have I heard a more apt description of local politicians. Well done!
Post a Comment